ADDIS ABABA, Feb. 5 (Xinhua) -- The Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) confirmed on Tuesday 57 of its nationals drowned after two migrant boats sank off the coast of Djibouti last week.
In a press statement, MoFA said it has confirmed the identity of the 57 Ethiopian nationals, after sending an Ethiopian government fact finding mission to Djibouti.
MoFA further said it has confirmed 16 Ethiopian nationals survived the accident, with the survivors receiving psychological and medical help by the Red Cross charity.
The tragedy occurred during the early hours of Jan. 29 off Godoria, a locality in the Obock region of northeast Djibouti.
The latest incident is said to be one of the many similar deadly calamities that have occurred on Djibouti's Red Sea coast area, as desperate East African migrants attempted to cross the dangerous route hoping to reach the Middle East via the war-torn nation Yemen, mainly aiming at reaching Yemen' northern neighbor Saudi Arabia.
Every year thousands of Ethiopians looking for better economic opportunities are estimated to be trafficked through Djibouti and the Red Sea to reach the Arabian Peninsula.
In recent years, the Ethiopian government has taken out advertisement in local print and broadcast media outlets and warned its nationals on the dangers of illegal migration.